Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Why I Find Fifty Shades of Grey So Entertaining


The above picture shows the top three books on the New York Times Best Sellers list for this week in Combined Print and E-Book Fiction. The books listed are all part of the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy. I find this almost infinitely amusing for many reasons.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not read the books, nor do I intend to at any point. Hetero sex isn't really my thing, I don't enjoy it, I don't particularly enjoy reading about it. The fact that these books began their lives as  Twilight fan-fiction is a turn off for me as well, but I can see how it would appeal to others. No judgement here, just personal preferences. Now, on to the list:

  1. Shelves upon shelves, and displays upon displays of erotic fiction just sitting in the bookstores. This book isn't hiding in a dark corner with all the other "dirty little secrets" it's completely out in the open. To me, this screams sex-positivity.
  2. In addition to sex positivity, this also brings the concept of BDSM into more mainstream society. Again, it's coming out, physically and metaphorically, of shadowy closets and dark corners. I don't know how well the book portrays BSDM, but it could definitely start a conversation. 
  3. This one is the one that gives me the most, possibly perverted, pleasure. People pick it up by accident! They choose it because it's on a display, because it's on the New York Times Best Seller list, and they get home and it's erotica! How awesome is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment